Let’s be honest, this is not my favorite chocolate cake (remember this?) but it’s a great non-gluten non-dairy alternative, and doesn’t contain as much sugar as most recipes. It couldn’t be easier to make, hence a great recipe to bake with kids.
Coconut flour is not actually “flour” as it doesn’t contain grains, or nuts and is made from ground and dried coconut meat. It’s known to have multiple benefits, such as high levels of protein, fiber and healthy fats. Keep in mind however that coconut flour is very filling so give moderate quantities to kids if you want them to keep some extra space for dinner 🙂
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened dark cocoa powder (I love Big Tree Farms’)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I buy it from Nourish Indonesia).
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (I like to use olive oil, but it can be replaced with coconut oil or butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
Preparation – 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 160°C – fan forced.
- Combine all dry ingredients (cocoa, coconut flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt).
- Add the wet ingredients (eggs, olive oil, and coconut milk).
- Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour into a medium-sized baking dish.
- Bake the cake for 15minutes (make sure you don’t overcook the cake as it will taste very dry)
- Remove from the oven and cool.
To read this recipe in Bahasa Indonesia, click here.