This week, I’m sharing a very simple recipe of one of my favorite salads. The green beans in Jakarta are delicious and you can find the very fine ones all year round, ironically the best ones are called buncis perancis (or French beans), which are the ones I use here.
You may not have some of the ingredients used here (seeds, fried shallots), which are optional, but really do make a huge difference. I highly recommend keeping them in your cabinets, they can be stored for a while and compliment just about anything.
Ingredients (quantities are up to you)
- Green beans (Buncis Perancis variety)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Seeds and nuts (pumpkin or sunflower seeds…) – optional
- Fried shallots – optional
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- 3 table spoon of vegetable oil (extra virgin olive oil is best)
- 1 table spoon of water (to thin out the sauce so it spreads more easily onto the salad)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel the potatoes.
- Boil the eggs, potatoes, and green beans. Make sure you don’t overcook the potatoes (they should be cooked through but not mushy) and the beans (they should be slightly undercooked, still firm)
- Cut the potatoes into bite size.
- Peel the garlic and slice in half. Heat garlic in a pan with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil until fragrant and add the potatoes. Sauté until golden. Discard the garlic.
- Let the ingredients cool and throw them into a salad bowl, together with the seeds.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad mix. Top with fried shallots.
To read this recipe in Bahasa Indonesia, click here.